We are seeking a driven, competitive, and creative marketing and sales guru who is eager to help us strategize, execute, and grow our presence in the gap year space.
As our Growth Director, you will be responsible for defining our growth strategy, coordinating and executing growth plans, and optimizing our funnel to meet revenue targets. The role is part marketing, part sales, part coach/manager, and full collaborator. You will be a key part of the leadership team and will act as the bridge between the leadership and the growth team, ensuring that business goals are set appropriately, communicated clearly, and executed on aggressively. Working from the top of the funnel to the bottom, you will own the enrollment process and ensure that our marketing and sales efforts achieve our business goals, while providing a customer experience that exceeds expectations.
You will build and lead a team that focuses on customer acquisition, activation, and retention, using both inbound/outbound strategies and online/offline approaches to move people through the funnel. You will also oversee the admissions process and collaborate with the program team to assess student fitness for our programs and ensure alignment between customer expectations and program experience. You will constantly collect data to track and improve on all steps in the funnel, identifying bottlenecks and increasing automation. If you have the marketing, sales, and growth chops and are hungry to apply your experience to a fast-paced, education startup with lofty aspirations, then this is the role for you!
About Year On
Year On is on a mission to support high school graduates learn about themselves so they are better prepared for college and beyond. We use our coaching methodology to meet students where they are so they can identify what interests them in a proactive way. Our graduates talk about how this program changed their lives, leaving them better prepared for what is ahead, even if they don’t have all of the answers.
If you’re someone who looks back and thinks, “I really wish I took some time to think about who I was before I jumped into college/work/life,” this is a unique opportunity to contribute to a team that is building a program to support students gain confidence, clarity, and direction for their next steps.
- Competitive, “Can-Do” Attitude — You identify opportunities and roll up your sleeves to make them happen; you’re not afraid of getting your hands dirty
- Creative and Resourceful — You think on your feet, try new approaches, and bounce back when things don’t go your way; you’ve got the perseverance without the ego
- Confident Communicator — You influence others with your outstanding communication skills, and are confident pitching to anybody in any situation
- Compassionate Negotiator — You can tie a customer’s wants and needs to a logical solution while being welcoming, understanding, and empathetic
- Analytical Storyteller — You can gather relevant data from multiple sources and translate it into insightful stories and tactical recommendations
- Technology advocate who stays up-to-date on the latest tools, best practices, and is always striving to make processes more efficient and effective
- Forward-thinker who is able to see the small details, the big picture, how things are now, and where we can go from here
- Data-driven numbers person who understands the importance of data and knows how to collect and analyze data, as well as to glean and implement insights
- Inspirational leader who is able to oversee a dynamic and distributed team
- Fast learner who is highly motivated to work efficiently and adapt quickly
- Strong leadership, funnel management, and organizational skills
- Startup experience and/or entrepreneurial mindset
- Develop and manage a robust pipeline to successfully meet revenue targets
- Develop and monitor the company’s growth strategy for all stages in the funnel (marketing, sales, admissions), including defining a roadmap for each marketing channel and maintaining consistent sales activity year round
- Marketing / TOFU: Oversee all online marketing efforts (SEM/SEO, social media, email, blogs, ads, traditional media) and offline marketing efforts (hosting events, word of mouth, leveraging alumni/ambassadors/parents)
- Sales / MOFU: Support both inbound leads (phone calls, text messages, email inquiries) and outbound leads (parent outreach, counselor outreach, gap year fairs, gap year conferences and associations)
- Admissions / BOFU: Oversee the admissions process (application, interview, evaluation, tuition/financial aid, onboarding) and handoff to the program team
- Develop a system to track conversion rates and measure progress against goals, constantly looking to eliminate bottlenecks, improve processes, and introduce creative ideas and solutions that are quickly tested and evaluated
- Manage the growth team (marketing, sales, admissions) to coordinate and execute the strategy, providing incentives and inspiration to keep them energized and motivated, as well as the structure and support needed to reach targets
- Provide customer insight to the larger team by blending data with a deep understanding of user needs, habits, and perceptions developed through targeted interviews, usability studies, and customer feedback
- Collaborate with program department to:
- Identify customer personas and translate our program and outcomes into external messaging and communications
- Balance business goals and revenue targets with educational outcomes and student experience
- Develop tuition and financial aid models that balance revenue goals, student need, selectivity, and inclusion
- Set up HubSpot to capture detailed and timely data at all customer touchpoints
- Communicate strategies and results to the leadership team on a consistent basis
- 5 to 7 years experience in growth marketing, growth hacking, or sales director role
- Experience setting, executing, and iterating a growth strategy
- Experience scaling customer acquisition, activation, and retention while limiting costs and maximizing lifetime value
- Experience building, leading, and managing a team of marketers and sales persons
- Proven experience tracking analytics and exceeding sales KPIS
- Proven experience in online acquisition tactics and best practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities at once
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, cross-functional, dynamic, and ambiguous startup environment
Nice to Have:
- High proficiency in HubSpot and all other major marketing/sales tools
- Experience in education industry and/or with long sales cycles
- Experience selling to high school & college students, parents, and counselors
- Experience managing a distributed team
- Experience managing partnerships
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Free lunch when programs are in session
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Dog-friendly office
- Based out of Galvanize in San Francisco, CA
How We Work
We are a group of hard-working, fun-loving people who take our jobs seriously but like to laugh along the way. We are passionate about empowering young adults with the skills and know-how to succeed in the real world. Our students inspire us every day and fuel the work that we do.
We are open-minded and open-hearted. We value community, diversity, and inclusion. We live the same values as we teach our students: growth mindset, bias towards action, goal setting, and accountability. We like kind jokes with a side of sarcasm. We are open to feedback and self-improvement. We continually challenge ourselves to become better as individuals, colleagues, and a team.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com with “Growth Director” as the subject line.